Thursday, January 6, 2011

"We're going to California, ain't we? All right then let's go to California."

#23: The Grapes of Wrath


Watched on January 2, 2011
Released in 1940
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032551/


Fun Fact: Henry Fonda kept the hat he wore in the movie for the rest of his life, until he passed away in 1982.

Rob's Thoughts: Overall, I thought it was a good movie.  I thought the acting by Henry Fonda was great. I always liked the novel and story, but seeing it on the big screen, it was alright.  I would still recommend it because it does show the hardship that America went through during the Dust Bowl and Great Depression.

Whit's Thoughts: I was excited about watching this movie. I had read the book in high school and remember the story and Steinbeck's writing leaving an impression on me. However, I felt that the movie was a little disappointing. It seemed slow and I don't know that it captured what I had envisioned in my mind when I first read the book. What it did do was portray, in pictures, the hardships that families had to endure during that dark time in America's history - death, hunger, and loss. And, that, leaves its own impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment