Saturday, January 29, 2011

"My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you."

#98: Yankee Doodle Dandy

Watched on January 25, 2011
Released in 1942
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035575/


Fun Fact: George M. Cohan chose James Cagney to play him.

Rob's Thoughts: I honestly liked this movie.  James Cagney was very entertaining as George Cohan and his singing/dancing was flawless.  Also, it had been a while since I had heard "Yankee Doodle" and "Grand Old Flag, so it was great to hear those tunes.  If you are a fan of musical movies, I would recommend this classic.

Whit's Thoughts: When we sat down to watch this movie, I turned to Rob during the opening credits and asked, "What is this movie about again?". We immediately paused the movie and did a quick Google search on it. I had no idea it was based on a true story and I had no idea who George Cohan was. So, with that in mind, we continued watching. I can honestly say this movie has everything in it - drama, comedy, music, dancing...and a fairly interesting story line! I was amazed to learn about the songs George Cohan introduced into our culture, the impact he had on Broadway, and that he was he was the first person in an artistic field to receive the Congressional Gold Medal. Ultimately, I enjoyed this movie. Even though I am still humming "Yankee Doodle". 

No comments:

Post a Comment